Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cognitive Learning Theory

The idea that we possess multiple intelligences which are developed at different rates has a direct link to the concept of practice from behaviorism. Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences learning theory seems to have a natural extension to the hehavioral theory we discussed last week. I will develop my motor cortex by practicing body movements over and over again. My musical intelligence is much more developed due to exposure, practice, and performance over the long term. This still effects my motor cortex, however repetition makes it permanent. Using these intelligences to tap into my student's strengths as a preferred learning style will help me reach their potential at a faster rate. It also gives me another tool with which to reach my students.

Reference:

Lever-Duffy, J., McDonald, J. Theoretical Foundations,Allyn and Bacon, Boston, MA 2008

1 comment:

  1. Some of our best learning moments include the use of music. As a child we learned numerous songs in order to learn our ABC's, the fifty states and our body parts.As you said, there is something about the repition and the use of music that engages the brain and enhancing retention.Music can trigger memories, and those memories are attatched to information that we have stored in our brains in relation to the songs.

    ReplyDelete