Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Summer Updates

   Image result for windows update icon free                                    As we get in to the heat of summer, the update schedule has been set for both Apple and Microsoft.  With Windows 10 being released free on July 29, we are presented with another update of Microsoft's operating system.  This one has a new web browser, the "Cortana" voice recognition system, puts the old and new elements of windows together and allows users from Windows version seven and eight to upgrade for free.   In a perfect world, they would allow my Surface RT to update, however, we do not live in that world.  While I look forward to system improvements in my PC's, the little voice in my head says "caution." My concerns are with the music programs I use to practice and perform with on my tablets and computers.  Changes will obviously occur there, yet there is a little concern.  Another area that I like about Microsoft's coming software is the ability to use holographic technology in your personal life.  The hololens hardware would be a neat addition to the technology I use, however, at their current prices, it will be a while before I can afford it. 
Image result for free use apple logo     Apple is updating both it's IOS and OSX operating systems adding new features.  Some of these features announced have me curious, especially in the notepad app.  I am an avid Onenote and Evernote user as these assist me staying on track at home and at work.  Being able to organize notes into notebooks and subsections is the beauty of these notebook systems, imitating the analog paper notebook.  With the searchability of these programs, I can find information in seconds. I even shared this concept with the Chefs at a Culinary school.  They really liked the ability to find information in a hurry.  Apple has stated that I will be able to get reminders, add graphics, checkboxes, etc  in their new notes app.  I hope this is so, as the apple infrastructure works pretty well together. It would be really nice to have the audio recorder feature I enjoy in the other two not programs I use in the "notes" application. It makes it easy to collect musical ideas and motifs with the ability to share with other musicians to develop the musical idea collaboratively.  Will their icloud note program update as well?   It will be one less step in organizing projects on the go in my role as an educational technologist.
     While I anticipate the usual problems with any new update, I am looking forward to see what Apple and Microsoft have done to improve their products usefulness as  a personal and professional productivity tool.  Google, Apple, and Microsoft are listening to the users of their products, which is necessary and beneficial for each of us.  I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment