Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Game Plan Update

My gameplan this week ran into a bit of a snag this week due to a personal illness. I was able to post encouraging words and work to my wiki pages for my students even ill, however, it was between runs to the bathroom. With only two days of school this week before Thanksgiving break, my classes were redirected to the gym as substitutes are not hired to cover teachers this year as a money saving measure. When I checked my rss feeds about new technology I discovered an improvement for a tool I already use.

I became quite excited about Apple's new 4.2 operating software for my Ipod and Ipad this week. I use my Ipad during the school day in my class, as I can move around the room with it helping students. As my gradebook is web-based, I can grade students as I walk around the room. Of course the new print function does not work with my printer yet, so I just bump it over to word, or excel to print. I am sure this will change quickly, as more printer companies jump on board with this.

As far as my students being more cautious of authorship, I had them create their own story, script, record, and edit their turkey story. They then posted their story up on the class wikipage. The students had gone through the entire process that any creative artist goes though in order to create their finished story. When I asked them what their reaction would be to someone using their story without their permission, they became very adamant about protecting their work. I asked them to consider this feeling the next time they considered downloading or copying someone else's work.

2 comments:

  1. Chris,
    What a great way to get the students to realize how important it is to cite your references. Learning situations like this one you provided are ones the students will always remember because you made it personal to them, something to which they can relate.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete