Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Course Reflection

In this course, I discovered the GAME plan for personal productivity. It ties into the goal setting strategies I have used during my career. In this case, it became a system where I could be successful. By establishing goals, taking actions toward these goals, monitoring my actions and results, then evaluating my performance in achieving the goals, the system taught me how to better monitor and evaluate my actions. It was effective enough for me to teach my students how to use the game plan for their projects and goals. This system taught me to be flexible, to think about my end result, and to make adjustments to my goals as needed to improve the outcome I desired. This has become an integral part of my success toolbox, and eventually for more of my students.
My discoveries during this course have been numerous with one idea that stood out: Be flexible. When our instructor had us evaluate where we were along the continuum toward our goal or goals in weeks five through eight, he was using the monitoring concepts in the game plan to have us look at where we were, and how we could improve. He taught me to evaluate my unit plans and gradually add further complexity and academic demand to each level of the plan for my students.
To adjust my teaching practice, there are two areas that I am incorporating in the next term for my students. These include improving my unit planning to incorporate many of the tools I have learned in this course, as well as to have my students learn to become Game managers as well. My unit plans will be more complete due to this class, integrating my curriculum standards as well as the NETS standards for my students. In this way, my students will cross curricular lines for both music and technology. Adding complexity will allow me to create more demanding projects and work for my students, offering a more real world experience in recording, music creation, and composition. My students will be more successful by implementing the Game system of thinking in their individual and group work. By adding goal, action,monitoring, and evaluation tools into my unit planning, the students will be using the goal oriented system to their advantage while they work in my class, and in other classes as well. Tying the two elements together will allow my students more opportunities to establish their learning agenda, as well as their success in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment