Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Gameplan Week 6

In this week's reflection, there are many new opportunities for my students to learn about authorship. Using the Clemente "Night Before Christmas" poem, students created a rhythmic map and melody from their map to write their own melody for the poem. I was able to connect to a real application of their work with the website http://www.minimumnoise.com/Projects.aspx, where creative people can submit their musical work, and get a chance at being paid for their work. My students became quite interested when a commercial project on the site was valued for 1500.00. I let them hear some of the "winning" submissions as well. I think my students became aware of opportunities they did not know existed in North Georgia.
As for pushing forward with my NETS standards, I want to take my class blogs and wiki pages outside our school, connecting with other regional schools first, then expand it to the worldwide community. Two projects that I have begun to work toward include a flatearth music composition page, as well as wikispace pages that can be used for music composition and music performance. Students will be able to use NETS and Music standards in conjunction to create music. This will give a wider audience of people to offer suggestions, encouragement, and networking opportunities for my music students. It is taking the big fish out of the little pond and putting them into a larger pond with bigger fish. This is going to be exciting!

3 comments:

  1. You are right-these experiences will be exciting! Does your administration leave you alone, or do they have stipulations for using these Web 2.0 applications? I will be very interested in hearing how your flatearth project goes. These really sound like real world music applications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as I have permission from the parents/guardians to use the technology, they are all for it. Security for th estudents is the main concern. If something gets out of control, it will cause a kneejerk reaction from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,

    You seem to really bring music alive and I would love to be a student in your class! I think it would be a great idea to share your wiki sites and blogs with other schools. Students can then connect with one another and continue to bring music to life!

    ReplyDelete